Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Sandy and the Hedgehog

Sandy is our Golden Retriever. She lives with my parents at my parents' house. The Hedgehog is the one living on our street, traveling through the yards.
It all started a few weeks ago, when the spring started and all the night-time hedgehog activity ensued. Sandy, which spends her nights in a kennel in the yard so she doesn't go mad, started barking. Like mad. My mom eventually went outside to see what the bark it's all about, and discovered a hedgehog, in the, um....hedge. Sandy was protesting the uninvited trespassing of her yard. My mother, electing not to deal the small prickly creature, brought Sandy into the house, where she sat with her nose pressed against the door for the rest of the night. Admittedly, she might have dozed off at some point - nobody stayed up to watch her.
Sandy had spent the next few days sniffing out the little creature with no success.
One night, as I walked her, I met a neighbor, another late-night walker, and we stood and chatted for a bit. Sandy stretched her lead as far as it would go, and stuck her nose under the hedge of my parent's next door neighbor's' yard. She stood there, her faced fixed for almost two minutes. Now, Goldens do not stay focused for entire two minutes. Certainly not Sandy. It only occurred to me after those two minutes, that Sandy was looking at something very intently. Going around her, I saw her nose pressed as close as she dared to a curled up hedgehog. Hedgehog was rolled in a ball, thinking "take a bite...I dare you!" as hedgehogs do. Sandy was thinking "....???...." as Goldens do.
Two nights later, at a completely different part of the street, Sandy was pulling hard to the right, toward a fence. The little hedgehog was walking along happily. Out of curiosity, I let her get close. She again stuck her nose as close as she dared and sniffed. The hedgehog curled a bit, then decided it was not worth the trouble, stretched out, and walked on, Sandy at foot. We had to break off our slow pursuit finally. This really brings into question the whole survival instincts issue, but never mind.
Then, last night, I was pulling out - for those who wander what I'm doing at my parents' house so often it is because I was house-sitting for the last week, and they live very close anyway, and mom-food beats pizza-warming any time! Anyway, I was pulling out into the street, where a small black-gray-dotted-white thing walked across by headlights. The hedgehog was on the move again. He paused, looked my way, thought about it, and turned back, choosing not to stare down my car into submission. As I looked back in my rear-view mirror, I could see him taking a shot at crossing again.
The really cool thing about this whole affair is this: If I ever get a rock-and-roll band together, I have a great name!
Sandy and the Hedgehog.
Rock on.

No comments: