Sunday, November 19, 2006

Clocks and Chickens

I'm not a computer gamer (I think I said it before). I do like the little games that you can download and play which don't require any strategy, or thinking for that mater, and not much skill accept quickness of the hand. There is a long list of these games I like, but one of my favorites is "Chickens Invaders" (google it for more information). It's based on the old "Space Invaders" game, but this time the Solar system is invaded by waves after waves of evil, erratic, egg-shelling chickens, led and controlled by the mighty Mother Hen-ship. I love the game, and it's not quite as explicable as you might think. Or at least as I might think. I thought of it long and hard, and came out with a critical conclusion: Everything Is Funnier With Chicken!
It's a lesson that should be learned and understood.
We take it for grated, and years of slapstick comedy relied on it, without actually formalizing it.

I have proof:
A couple of years ago a co-worker has told me of a friend called Yaron Hayut (sorry, no link) who is a mechanical engineer by trade, a clocks enthusiast by passion, and a general mad-designer by choice. He creates non-traditional time keeping devices that could be referred to as non-clocks. He is a horrible business man and terrible at promoting himself, so there is not even a web-site where the clocks may be viewed. You might have to take yourself to MoMA in New York to see some of his work on display (if it's still there, it's been years).
Anyway, that whole concept of "It doesn't matter what time it is, but rather how it is displayed" struck as me ingenious, and kept lingering in the back of my mind. I kept looking at clocks, trying to find the uniqueness of them. The art. It just stayed there, like a little post-it note on the brain, until about a year ago when I visited London, England, and walked around the shops in Covent Gardens. There I saw a little wall clock that had a very unique way of identifying the hour. A spiral arm stretches out and back into the oval face of the watch. Across the face are the numbered the hours. The arm crosses across the correct hour. It is simple, brilliant, and just makes me happy (cheap happiness at 5 pounds). I bought the clock and brought it back home. A few weeks ago I struck a conversation with my co-worker about the clocks and I mentioned that I have bought this clock in London. Consulting his friend, Yaron has asked for a photograph of the clock, being unfamiliar with it. Not knowing of the origin of the clock he has asked in return whether it was bought, by any change, in London, possibly in Covent Gardens.
Apparently, fifteen years ago Mr. Hayut walked through Covent Gardens and saw strangely engineered clocks and thought "Hey, I can do that!". He's been designing clocks ever since. And if I never would have heard of it, I would never have notice that clock that now hangs on my wall. I dare anyone to contest Karma!

Anyway, I promised you chickens.
Rubber chickens. It would not have been the same with a rubber bat (baseball or sonar-guided fliers of the night). A rubber chicken smacked over someone's head holds a special kind of comedic charm that would be otherwise impossible.
The Muppets. It's not a coincidence that Gonzo's is a chicken (or is he? He's actually an alien. They said so in a movie!). At least he is a rooster-chicken by association with his band of singing hens. Gonzo has got to be the funniest (or is it ridiculousiest?) character there. It would not be the same if he was goat now, would it?
Yaron Hayut has also invented an alarm clock that, upon going off, releases a bunch of eggs into a basket. The awoken person must return the eggs back into the clock to stop the alarm. It's a brilliant waking mechanism, but more than that, it is hilariously funny. Why? It's just an alarm clock!

Because everything and anything can be made funnier with Chickens.
Whenever there is a little sadness in your life, think of chickens.
It'll make it all just a little bit better.

Everything is Funnier with Chickens!

Pak-Pak....Pak-waaaack!!!!

1 comment:

Ella said...

i suggest u patent it as

"The EFC lemma":
Everything is Funnier with Chickens!